Please Sign In

New To Sportsman Network?
  • Buck killed by Monica Gisclair on the afternoon of Sunday, October 9th, 2016. The deer is a mainframe 10pt. with 3 kickers that green scored over 168.'

    October 17, 2016 at 7:38am

    Sunday eve turned out to be an eventful one at our hunting cabin near Hermanville in Claiborne County, Ms. Discussions near an early afternoon fire pit (when it gets below 85 degrees we light a fire, hey, we are from South Louisiana) centered, as they always do, around where to set up for the afternoon hunt, what direction the wind would be blowing, and how much clothes she should bring. The decision was made that my wife would hunt a ground blind we had brushed in about three weeks ago that was set up 50yds from a planted power line on an old, overgrown logging road that the deer were using to get to the plot.

    At 4:30pm I started receiving text messages from her. The first was that she let a doe and a set of spotted twins pass at 25yds. The second was that she had seen a doe and a nice buck in the woods, and then a few minutes a frantic text that she spooked that same buck when she took her crossbow off of safety. Fifteen minutes later at 5:15 I got a text that said nice buck in the distance. Then the phone went silent, I answer with no response. A half hour went by and I started to wonder what was going on. Then came the phone call - and I knew exactly what the next line would be when I answered. 'Bae, I just shot,' in a trembling, heavy breathing voice. I had heard this line several times in the past. 'I heard a thump,' she said.

    I waited about an hour then went meet her. We saw the lighted nock about 50yds in the woods and approached it. After seeing the green and white fletching covered in deep red blood, we exchanged a few high-fives and started to try and trail the deer. Our teenage boys soon met us after getting down from their stands. We looked, and looked, no blood trail. Knowing from the looks of the blood being so red, I knew the deer was hit a little far back (liver area) and did not want to go too far in the woods. We headed back to the camp to eat dinner.

    I made a phone call to my friend Myron Lopez who has a black lab named Deuce, a super tracking dog. Myron explained that he had left his camp to go and hunt with a friend in Tara, but ironically, there was a dog in the area looking for two does for friends of ours that hunt in Carpenter, 10 miles from our camp. Myron said the dog (Cash) belonged to a gentlemen named John Ainsworth and that Cash was just as good if not better than Deuce. John arrived at about 10:15 with our friends Jimmy and Jake Cheramie. After quickly making a plan, we departed camp and headed to the spot where she fired the arrow. When we got to the spot, John gave Cash a few commands and then yelled, 'Hunt him up.' The dog left, we could hear his bell off in the distance. Cash made a few big circles. John said give him a minute to get the excitement out of his system. The dog returned to within a few yards of the arrow. His nose went to the ground, tail went up and he was off. 'Now he's on it,' John said. Looking at the GPS, and walking briskly on the trail the dog took, we followed. Within 10 minutes Cash's bell stopped clattering, John looked down at his handheld and said, 'He found it.' 'What?' I said. 'He found it already?' And sure enough, we walked up on the deer. John arrived first with the rest of us 30yds behind. 'Holy Cow!,' he yelled. We arrived behind and could not believe how big the deer was. The celebration began. Noah called his mom, who was back at the camp and said, 'Mom you killed a thirteen point, It's huge.' She could not believe it, and questioned, 'You sure it's my deer?' We all laughed. It was a great experience.

    Special thanks to John, Cash, Jimmy, Jake, and Myron.

    October 11, 2016 at 11:32am
    User has no comments at this time.
    User has no ads at this time.